Friday, September 11, 2009

Counting Our Blessings

No matter how many years pass, the mention of September 11th still evokes strong memories and feelings in people across the world. As I went about my usual morning routine this morning of getting up and getting my children ready for school, I was thinking in the back of my mind about that Tuesday morning 8 years ago, and what I was doing when the world changed forever. I remember the shock and disbelief as I watched the TV screen while feeding my eldest son breakfast. I remember struggling to take him to school that morning while still appearing normal until I saw the look on my son's 1st grade teacher, and we hugged each other, unable to speak.
I remember calling all the parents on our son's flag football team (my husband was their coach) to explain that practice would be cancelled that day and hearing the same shock and disbelief reflected in their voices.
So today, as I remember that tragic day, I think of how blessed I am and how thankful I am for my life, my family and the chance to be here in front of my computer typing this post. It is easy to get caught up in the negatives that we face each day, but definitely more rewarding to remember the positives that are out there, no matter how small.

Today I would like to share with you a card I created using the chalkboard technique that I first saw on Dawn Griffith's blog a few weeks ago. The butterfly image and the sentiment "for you" are softly colored using SU Stampin' Pastels. The bermuda bay cardstock has been dry embossed using the SU Finial Press Embossing Folder with my Sizzix Big Shot to create texture without competing with the focal image. The melon mambo helps to draw focus to the butterfly floating on the basic black cardstock. I just love the contrast between the strong, bright colors against the darkness from the basic black. Yet in all that strength, it is the soft color of the butterfly that captures your attention.
So tonight, as I prepare for sleep, I will be thankful for the life I have and say a prayer for the many families whose lives were changed on this date 8 years ago.


Stamping Blessings,

Tricia



Stamp Set:
Great Friend 113792
Price: $17.95 Set Quantity: 5

Cardstock: Basic Black, Bermuda Bay, Melon Mambo
Accessories: Big Shot, SU Finial Press Embossing Folder, Large Oval Punch, Scalloped Oval Punch, Stampin' Pastels, Dimensionals, Snail adhesive.





No comments:

Post a Comment